World Book Day – What I am reading

Hopefully you enjoyed dressing up for World Book Day. You all looked fantastic as did all of the staff who all made a huge effort! I would really like to know which book you are reading at the moment. All you need to do is just say the book and the author and if you like you can tell us what it is about and what you think so far. The challenge is to get 100 replies before next Friday. If we do then everyone will have some extra play. Below are a few I found out today – now let’s find out what you are reading!

Me – KP The Autobiography by Kevin Pietersen (all about his time playing cricket for England and generally not getting on with the other players)

Mrs Sheldon – A view from the bridge by Arthur Miller

Mrs Went – The Silkworm by JK Rowling

Mrs Crawford – The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude

Mrs Bannister – Strength in Strangers by Lauren Britton

Miss McNeilis – Closer than you think by Karen Rose

Miss Wands – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling

Mrs Hampshire - Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

Mrs Roberts – Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Miss Hobbs – Games of Thrones by George RR Martin

Mrs Glover – Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult

138 thoughts on “World Book Day – What I am reading

1. karen (Sam's and Noah's mum)

I’m reading the number 1 book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl to my children at bedtime every night.

1. Mr Alford Post author

That book really takes me back to when I was young (a long time ago sadly). I contemplated dressing up as an Oompa Loompa yesterday but had a meeting at the Civic Centre in the afternoon so thought that it probably would have looked a bit funny! I hope Sam and Noah are enjoying it as much as I did.

1. Mr Alford Post author

I hadn’t heard of this book so have just looked it up – it looks great! Hope you’re enjoying it.

2. Julia (Rachel's mummy)

I am reading ‘The Hare With Amber Eyes’ by Edmund DeWaal. The book is essentially about the biography of objects – 264 Japanese ‘netsuke’, which are small, carved ‘toggles’ originally made to secure pouches to the belt of a kimono – but the book is also about their extraordinary journey along-side the lives of various members of one Jewish family and the places they journeyed through. From late nineteenth century Paris, with it’s Impressionism and Cafe Culture, to grand Viennese palaces during the holocaust of WWII on to Tokyo in the 1970s and then London, it’s also a story about ‘place’ and ‘identity’.

1. Mr Alford Post author

It sounds a really interesting read. I like collecting new words so I shall definitely be adding netsuke to my collection!

3. Ellie

I’m reading a book called billionaire boy by David Williams and I would rate it 5 stars to the bit that I have read up to.

1. Mr Alford Post author

I’ve read that book too Ellie. I felt very sorry for Joe, even though he had all the money he could ever need. What he didn’t have was happiness. I think David Walliams does try to get you thinking about these things as you read. Have you read any of his other books?

4. Julia Heggie

I am having “such fun” reading Miranda Hart’s scripts from her favourite episodes of her sitcom. It’s really interesting seeing her direction notes and how the script changed.

1. Mr Alford Post author

You are like me in having more than one book on the go. I had never heard of Ernest Cline (but I have just looked him up – thank goodness for Wikipedia!)

5. Mr Alford Post author

I’m guessing that you may have watched the TV series too. I imagine the final version seen on Tv was often quite different to what she would have originally written.

6. Mrs Long

After going to my book club yesterday, I was given Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey to read. I look forward to starting it and giving my review at the next book club meeting.

7. Darcey

I have enjoyed reading The Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
    I would recommend this book 😀

8. Rachael

At the moment I am reading Paws And Whiskers by Jacqueline Wilson.
    It is an enjoyable book and has lots of different stories!

9. adaniels

I am currently reading ‘A girl like you’ by Gemma Burgess. It is quite girly and very funny in parts. It was recommended to me by a friend who thoroughly enjoyed it.

Miss Daniels

10. Fazila

I’m reading Permanent Rose by Hillary McKay. It’s a really good book so far and it’s quiet girly but i’m enjoying it.

11. Maisie

I am reading Demon Dentist by David Walliams it is a funny book and i think any one would enjoy this book. 🙂

12. Emily

Right now I’m reading ‘Ruby Redfort Catch Your Death’ I think it’s really good for anyone who likes books about solving cases. 😀

1. Mr Alford Post author

I can just imagine you solving a mystery Emily – maybe in the style of an Enid Blyton book?

13. Aaron

I am reading the hunger games series and I am currently on the 3rd one: Mockingjay and trust me… It is amazing!

1. Mr Alford Post author

It always impresses me that authors can keep coming up with new ideas when they write a whole series of books like this.

14. Sarah

I love to read The Sword of Kuromori and it little bit funny . I’m look forward to read all book and I will never give up ! And I’m still reading it. It great fun reading books !

15. Jack

I am reading billionaire boy by David walliams. It is about a boy called joe who has everything but a friend

16. Thomas

Michael Morpurgo
    Little Foxes
    I’m enjoying little foxes.I was recommended by Nitish. So far it has been talking about the main character.

17. Neha

At the moment I am reading My sister the vampire Star style. I am enjoying this book which I am reading now. This book is a fantastic book which is only appropriate for girls in my opinion. I would recommend this book for most girls.

18. Sarah

I love to read The Sword of Kuromori and it little bit funny . I’m ready look forward to read all book and I will never give up ! And I’m still reading it. It great fun reading books !

19. Joe Long

I have just finished Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000.
    For school I am reading Moonshine.

20. Kayla

I have just started a new book entitled ‘Dune’ by Frank Herbert. The language is quite confusing and I have to re-read quite a few sentences! I’ve only read the first chapter so cannot give a star rating but it is very creative according to what I’ve read so far!

Kayla Locke, 6D

1. Mr Alford Post author

That is quite a challenging read. Hopefully the language will become clearer as you read on.

21. Mrs Harvey

Like Mrs Long, I am just about to start Elizabeth is Missing. It sounds interesting and I have seen some good reviews.

1. Kayla

I’m afraid that I couldn’t understand it well enough, and so are rereading the Oz trilogies (the unaltered versions)!

22. Temi

The book I am reading a sister more like me It about elsa and onna the rotting that are nice and meet are elsa rotting and the ones that are bold are Obama.

23. Vicky (May's mummy)

Tonight at bedtime me and May read Winnies new computer. Poor Wilbur the cat ended up bright blue!

Like Rachel’s mum, I’m reading The Hare with Amber Eyes. Only just started but enjoying it so far.

1. Mr Alford Post author

Poor Wilbur! Has May read any of the Blue Kangaroo books (talking of blue animals).
      It sounds like we could start a Glebe book club. You and Rachel’s mum will have to compare notes.

24. Safia

I am reading The Sword Of Kuromori at the moment by Jason Rohan and I reccomend it to boys and girls who like reading action packed amazing stories.

25. Lenny 5G

I recommend Billionaire boy by David walliams, because it is hilarious book that you would really enjoy it.It is full of fings to chuckel about

SO READ BILLIONAIR BOY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Henry 5G

At the moment I am reading Alone on a wide, wide sea by Michael Morpurgo and I would recommend it to a person who likes little boys emigrate to Australia and live with a bad man.

27. oliver

right now I am reading the comic wolverine vs deadpool, (for the second time!) its author is Stan Lee. I have been engrossed in the series for a while now and I don’t want to finish it! Most of the comic is full of fast paced and action packed scenes so I would give it a rating of ***** so read it. read it now!!!

28. Patricia Swindells

I am reading H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald a true story of how the author overcomes grief at losing her father by training a Hawk.

29. Mrs Went

I’ve just started a new book. It’s ‘Shopoholic to the Stars”. Very different from the last book I read and it takes me back to a time when I could shop til I dropped.

30. Denis

I’m reading a very interesting fact book about sharks and other deadly animals that live in the ocean and its called ”Super Sharks” and I’m getting loads of shark facts in my head!

31. Akhiya

I’m really enjoying this book called Hide and Shriek!
    I think it’s really interesting it makes me want to always read it
    everyday it’s so good!! 🙂 😀

32. pmarks

Mrs Marks -The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. It is about a man who decides to go for a very long walk one day and he learns a lot about his inner strength along the way.

33. Emma 6H

At the moment I’m reading Awful Auntie by David Walliams and it is brilliant! I’m at the part where Stella has just been swooped up by her auntie’s evil owl!

34. Miss McNeillis

Rachel – Horrid Henry Wakes the Dead

Max – Dr Who Prisoner of the Daleks

Christian – Inkheart

Morgan – Beast Quest The Golden Armour Trillion the three headed lion

Finlay – Where’s the stig?

Riley – The Wizard of Oz

Sian – The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Hard Luck

Owen – On the Way Home I saw a Pirate Ship made of Gold

Anna – The Worst Witch Strikes Again

35. Lisa du Casse (Nicole 5G Mum)

I am currently reading Roald Dahl’s Someone Like You. A collection of short stories for adults. I remember a couple of the stories from when Tales of the Unexpected used to be on TV back in the day!

36. John Buckingham

currently reading “Muhammad Ali, His life and times” by Thomas Hauser.

his life and career by those there at the time. very interesting and informative.

37. Rosie Buckingham

At the moment I’m reading ‘Don’t sweat the small stuff’ by Richard Clarson, it’s a self help book to basically encourage you to not sweat the small stuff.

38. Franco Luciano

I have just started taking reading books home and I’m really enjoying them, I’m reading Dig! Sid! Dig!

I also love it when Mummy reads to me every night.

39. Rosie (Elisabeth M's mum)

I’m reading a great book to the Year 4 class at the school I teach in. It’s called ‘Kidnap in the Caribbean’ by Lauren St John and is the second book in the Laura Marlin series. The first book is called Dead Man’s Cove and is also fantastic.
    The series follows the adventures of Laura, who really wants to be a detective. The books are really gripping with lots of twists and turns in the plot. I highly recommend them to KS2 readers who like an exciting read. (Or teachers who loved the Famous Five!)

40. Mark Quinn (Rachel 1S Daddy)

A Foreign Country by Charles Cumming
    Recommended by Sunday Times, Sunday Express and The Guardian as Thriller of the Year

41. Steve H - Rachel's Dad

I’ve started A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle. Just 40 odd pages in and it is, in every sense of the word, ‘fantastic’.